If you’re like most people, you’ve probably made a few great New Year’s resolutions before.
Maybe you wanted to lose weight, exercise more, or quit smoking. But let’s be honest, how many of us actually stick to our resolutions? That’s where funny New Year’s resolutions come in.
Instead of setting lofty goals that are hard to achieve, why not make resolutions that are fun and easy to keep?
Funny resolutions can be a great way to start the new year off on a positive note, and they can even help you stick to your more serious goals. Plus, they’re a great conversation starter at parties and family gatherings.
So, what are some funny New Year’s resolution ideas? A quick search online will reveal a plethora of options, from the absurd to the downright hilarious.
Whether you want to learn to speak whale, become a master of the kazoo, or finally figure out how to fold a fitted sheet, there’s a funny resolution out there for everyone to help people put the right foot forward in 2024.
We’ve compiled a list of some of our favorite funny New Year’s resolution ideas to get you started.
Feel free to use any of these or come up with your own unique resolutions that will make you laugh and have a great year ahead. And who knows, maybe this year you’ll actually stick to it!
What Are New Year Resolutions?
New Year Resolutions are promises you make to yourself to improve your life in some way.
They are usually made at the beginning of a new year and are a popular tradition in many cultures around the world. The idea behind New Year Resolutions is to start fresh and make a change for the better.
The most common New Year Resolutions are related to health and fitness, such as losing weight, quitting smoking, or exercising more.
However, you can make resolutions about anything that you want to improve in your life. Some people make resolutions to learn a new skill, get a promotion at work, or spend more time with family and friends.
When making a New Year Resolution, regardless of how serious or funny it may be, it’s important to set achievable goals and have a plan in place to reach them.
For example, if your goal is to lose weight, you can start by cutting down on sugary drinks or taking a walk every day.
It is also important to remember that making a New Year Resolution is not a one-time event.
It is a continuous process that requires dedication and commitment. You may face challenges and setbacks along the way, but it is important to stay motivated and keep working towards your goal.
Why Choose Funny Resolutions
Are you tired of making the same old New Year’s resolutions and failing to stick to them?
Maybe it’s time to switch things up and choose funny resolutions instead. Here are a few reasons why choosing funny resolutions might be the way to go.
Breaking the Monotony
Let’s face it, making the same old resolutions year after year can get boring. By choosing funny resolutions, you can break the monotony and inject some humor into your goal-setting.
Instead of vowing to hit the gym every day or give up your favorite foods, you can choose resolutions like “learn to juggle” or “watch every Nicolas Cage movie ever made.” These resolutions are still goals, but they’re more lighthearted and fun.
Creating a Positive Atmosphere
When you choose funny resolutions, you’re creating a positive atmosphere for yourself and those around you.
Instead of focusing on negative things you want to change about yourself, you’re focusing on things that will make you laugh and bring joy into your life.
Plus, when you share your funny resolutions with others, you’re spreading positivity and making them smile, too.
So, why not give funny resolutions a try this year? Who knows, you might just find that they’re easier to stick to and more enjoyable than the same old serious resolutions.
Examples of Funny New Year Resolutions
Are you tired of making the same old boring New Year’s resolutions? Why not try something different this year? Here are some funny New Year’s resolution ideas to inspire you!
- Stop talking to yourself out loud, especially in public places.
- Learn how to cook something other than ramen noodles.
- Be more adventurous and try new things, like overnight oats or sushi.
- Finally, finish that book you’ve been “reading” for the past year.
- Stop hoarding junk in your house and donate it to charity.
- Try a new hobby, like knitting or painting, and stick with it for at least a month.
- Really cancel that gym membership you never use but have been renewing for the past three years.
- Stop procrastinating and actually get work done on time.
- Take breaks to stretch and move around instead of sitting at your desk all day.
- Stop hitting the snooze button and actually wake up on time for work.
- Stop checking your phone every five minutes during work hours.
- Make an effort to get to know your coworkers better and make more work friends.
- Stop canceling plans at the last minute and actually show up to events.
- Try a new type of cuisine every month and expand your palate.
- Stop ghosting people and actually respond to texts and calls.
- Don’t do much yoga. Instead, do brunch with friends.
These are just a few examples of funny New Year’s resolutions to get you started. Remember, the key is to have fun and not take yourself too seriously.
You know, some hilarious New Year’s jokes will not do harm, but of course, the goal is to actually see these good resolutions through the entire year and make positive changes in your life!
Funniest New Year Resolutions to Try
Dare you to keep a straight face while making one of these hilarious New Year resolutions?
If you can, then you have a strong willpower. But if you can’t, well, that just shows how funny and relatable these resolutions are!
- This year I will stop using my gym membership as a keychain.
- My New Year’s resolution is to be more optimistic by keeping my cup half-full with either rum, vodka or whiskey.
- Eat more chocolate and justify it as self-care.
- Take up a new language, like Klingon or Elvish, just for fun.
- Stop procrastinating by setting goals that are easy to achieve, like taking a nap or binge-watching TV.
- Embrace your inner child and spend more time playing video games.
- Stop taking life too seriously and start laughing at yourself more often.
- Make a resolution to not make any resolutions this year.
- Face your fears by talking to strangers on the subway or elevator ride.
- Instead of doing chores, hire someone else to do them while you relax and watch Netflix.
- Learn to cook by watching cooking shows, but never actually attempt to make any of the recipes.
- Spend more time with your pets and less time on social media.
The Psychology Behind Humor and Goals
Setting goals for the new year is a common practice, but did you know that incorporating humor into your resolutions can actually increase your chances of success?
According to Positive Psychology, good humor has been linked to increased life satisfaction, engagement, and pleasure. When you approach your goals with a lighthearted attitude, you are more likely to stick with them.
Humor can also help you overcome obstacles that may arise when trying to reach your goals. When faced with a setback, finding the humor in the situation can help you stay motivated and focused.
This is because humor releases endorphins, which are natural mood boosters that can help you stay positive and resilient.
Incorporating humor into your goals can also make them more enjoyable. Instead of dreading the work you need to put in to achieve your goals, finding the humor in the journey can make it feel like less of a chore. This can help you stay motivated and committed to your goals for the long haul.
To incorporate humor into your new year’s resolutions, try setting a goal that is a bit unconventional or silly.
For example, instead of resolving to lose weight, resolve to dance like nobody’s watching for 30 minutes a day.
This not only adds an element of humor to your goal but also makes it more enjoyable and less daunting.
In conclusion, incorporating humor into your new year’s resolutions can help you stay motivated, overcome obstacles, and enjoy the journey. So, why not add a little laughter to your goals this year?
How to Stick to Your Funny Resolutions
Making funny resolutions is a great way to bring some humor and lightheartedness to the new year.
However, sticking to your resolutions can be a challenge. Here are a few tips to help you stay on track:
1. Start Small
It’s important to set achievable goals for yourself. Don’t try to overhaul your entire life overnight. Instead, start with small, manageable changes that you can realistically stick to.
For example, if your resolution is to drink more water, start by drinking an extra glass each day and gradually increase your intake over time.
2. Make a Plan
Having a plan in place can help you stay focused and motivated. Write down your resolution and create a step-by-step plan for achieving it.
Break your goal down into smaller, more manageable tasks and set deadlines for each one. This will help you stay on track and measure your progress.
3. Get Support
Having a support system can make all the difference when it comes to sticking to your resolutions.
Share your goals with friends and family and ask for their support and encouragement. You can also join online communities or support groups to connect with others who share your goals.
4. Track Your Progress
Tracking your progress can help you stay motivated and on track. Keep a journal or use a tracking app to record your progress and celebrate your successes along the way.
Seeing your progress can help you stay focused and motivated, even when things get tough.
5. Don’t Give Up
Remember, setbacks are a natural part of the process. Don’t get discouraged if you slip up or miss a day.
Instead, use setbacks as an opportunity to learn and grow. Revisit your plan, adjust your goals if necessary, and keep moving forward.
With patience and perseverance, you can achieve your funny resolutions and start the new year off on a positive note.
Benefits of Humorous Resolutions
Making resolutions is a popular way to start the new year with new beginnings. While some people take it seriously and set ambitious goals, others prefer to make funny and absurd resolutions.
If you are someone who enjoys humor, you might want to consider making humorous resolutions this year. Here are some benefits of doing so:
The new year can be a stressful time, especially if you are feeling pressure to make significant changes in your life.
By making humorous resolutions, you can take the pressure off yourself and have a good laugh.
Laughter has been shown to reduce stress and anxiety, so making funny resolutions could help you start the year on a positive note.
Improved Mental Health
Humor has many mental health benefits. It can improve your mood, reduce stress, and boost your overall well-being.
By making humorous resolutions, you can inject some fun and laughter into your life, which can have a positive impact on your mental health.
Plus, if you share your resolutions with friends and family, you can spread the joy and make others laugh, too.
Funny New Year’s Quotes to Kick Start 2024
This list of new year’s quotes will make you laugh and inspire you to take a lighthearted approach to your resolutions and make sure your whole year is full of humor and happiness:
- “My New Year’s Resolution is to stop living up to other people’s expectations and start disappointing them myself.” – Robin Williams
- “My New Year’s Resolution is to stop dancing like an idiot. I mean, I’m going to keep doing it, but I’m going to stop resolving not to.” – Jay Leno
- “My New Year’s resolution is to stop making New Year’s resolutions.” – George Carlin
- “My New Year’s resolution is to be a nicer person – unless someone really deserves it.” – Joan Rivers
- “My New Year’s resolution is to stop singing ‘Auld Lang Syne’ just because someone says ‘Happy New Year’.” – Jerry Seinfeld
- “This year, I resolved to give up resolutions.” – Elayne Boosler
- “My New Year’s Resolution is to read less self-help books and more cocktail recipes.” – Ellen DeGeneres
- “My New Year’s resolution is to take over the world. Or at least finish the basement.” – Steven Wright
Inspiration New Years Resolutions Quotes
If you’re really not into making funny resolutions, here are some inspiring and thoughtful quotes to help you set more serious goals for the new year and motivate you to achieve them:
- “New Year’s Day is every man’s birthday.” – Charles Lamb
- “I’m not a big New Year’s resolution person because most of them fail by February. Instead, I just try to be a better person every day.” – Jay Leno
- “New Year’s Eve is often a time for reflection. It’s a time to think about the past, think about the future. What do you want to accomplish for next year? What do you want to accomplish by the weekend?” – Conan O’Brien
- “I don’t make New Year’s resolutions. I make progress every day.” – Mark Twain
- “I have not made resolutions for over 30 years. What’s the point? Instead, I’ve learned to constantly improve myself.” – Bill Gates
- “I’ve begun to learn that it’s the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay. Small acts of kindness and love.” – J.R.R. Tolkien
- “The new year stands before us, like a chapter in a book, waiting to be written. We can help write that story by setting goals.” – Melody Beattie
- “I like the nights of surprises, the days that aren’t days, the years that are over in a flash. I like New Year’s Eve best of all.” – Anais Nin
Before the End of the Year, Prepare for the Next
As we wrap up another year and look ahead to the next, it’s important to take some time for reflection and preparation, regardless of if we make resolutions or not.
This can involve setting goals, making plans, and organizing our lives and daily event so that we are better equipped to handle whatever challenges may come our way.
Before we really dive into the new year, take some time to organize and declutter your physical and mental space. Get rid of any unnecessary items, thoughts, or habits that may be holding you back.
No matter what life has brought us in the past year, remember that a new year brings new opportunities and a chance for growth and improvement.
And, there is no such thing as the best new year’s resolution or silly resolutions, as long as it is a meaningful goal that helps you become the best version of yourself. So cheers to the upcoming year and all that it has in store for us!